Apple’s Black Friday sales may traditionally be weak, but massive sales from the likes of Amazon, Best Buy, Target and Walmart will mean deals on iPhones, iPads, MacBooks and the Apple Watch will be some of the biggest doorbusters for Black Friday 2019. And history teaches us what you can expect.
Apple’s Biggest Black Friday Tech Deals Last Year
Apple has not had an official Black Friday ad in recent years, but head-turning deals will be available from all the major retailers. Here are some of last year’s highlights:
- Walmart – $300 gift card on Apple iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max or iPhone XR with a new carrier contract
- T-Mobile – $749.99 off iPhone XR when you add a line and trade in an eligible device
- Metro by T-Mobile – Free AirPods when You Switch and Buy the iPhone 6s for $49
- Verizon Wireless – Phone X: Save $400. No trade-in required
- Walmart – Apple iPad (Latest Model) 32GB Wi-Fi for $249 (save $80)
- B&H Photo Video – Apple Watch Nike+ Series 3 42mm for $309 (save $100)
- Amazon – Get up to $80 off Apple Watch Series 3 models
- B&H Photo Video – Save up to $130 on the Apple 10.5″ iPad Pro
- B&H – 2018 15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar (2.9GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD, Radeon 560X GPU) for $4,199 (save $500)
- Adorama – Apple 15.4-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar (Mid-2017) for $2,149.00 (save $450)
What To Expect From Apple’s Black Friday 2019 Sales
The good news is Black Friday sales on Apple devices follow a predictable format every year, So, having analysed recent years and spoken with industry insiders, I expect the following deals to headline Black Friday 2019.
- $300 savings (gift card/direct) on Apple iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro or iPhone 11 Pro Max – Walmart and Best Buy ($250 gift card with Target)
- Refurbished iPhones with circa $200-300 discounts – Amazon
- iPhone XS: Save $400 without a trade-in – Walmart and Verizon
- Free AirPods when you switch and buy an older iPhone 7 or 8 for a minimal price – Metro by T-Mobile or a VNO
- Apple iPad (Latest Model) 32GB Wi-Fi for $269 (save $60) – Walmart
- Apple Watch Series 3 for $229 (save $70) – B&H Photo Video
- Refurbished Apple Watch Series 3 for $199 (save $100) – Amazon
- 11-inch iPad Pro for $699 (save $100) – B&H Photo Video
- 2019 15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar and premium spec with circa $400 savings – B&H Photo Video
- 2018 15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar and premium spec – circa $500 savings – Adorama
The key takeaways here are the killer deals you’ll get on both the current iPhone range as well as even bigger ones on 2018 models. Walmart typically has the biggest gift card discount but Best Buy does straight cash discounts so watch out for that.
B&H always has red hot limited-time sales which end before Black Friday itself, so watch out for big sales on MacBooks and the Apple Watch. Meanwhile Amazon, now it’s an official Apple partner, should hit hard with major deals and possibly some great deals on refurbished iPhones and iPads.
The one downside: I don’t expect many (if any) deals on the Apple Watch Series 5 (it’s too new) and Apple has stopped selling the Apple Watch Series 4.
Black Friday Ad Release – Don’t expect one from Apple but Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Amazon, Sam’s Club, Costco and eBay will all feature Apple products prominently. Most of these ads will come at the end of November, which will establish baseline prices for the most popular Apple devices. You can expect the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max deals to dominate these ads.
Sale Days and Times – The Apple Store typically begins its one-day Black Friday event only on Black Friday itself (this year November 29), but ignore it. Previous years show the sale only offers gift cards when paying full price for older models. Instead, the big Apple deals will be from the usual suspects (along with B&H and Adorama flash sales) starting the week of Thanksgiving and throughout the weekend into Cyber Week.
Free Shipping – The Apple Store offers free shipping on all orders, but Apple devices quality for free shipping from every retailer. I expect Target and Best Buy to offer free shipping on all orders throughout the entire 2019 holiday season. Amazon and Walmart are unlikely to waive their free shipping minimums (tip: get a free Amazon Prime trial) if you stay under $25 or $35 respectively, but that’s hard when buying Apple kit.
Apple Cyber Monday – Apple has skipped Cyber Monday sales for the last few years, but the party will continue with most other retailers. I expect a similar format for Cyber Monday 2019 with Amazon, Best Buy, Target and B&H Photo featuring an assortment of iPhones, iPads, MacBooks and Apple Watches. Most Cyber Monday ads and sale information will not come out until the week of Thanksgiving, but many of the Apple deals should be similar to Black Friday so don’t panic if you miss out first time around.
I will be extensively tracking Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2019 deals and publishing the best offers daily, so be sure to bookmark my page.
Follow Gordon on Facebook
More On Forbes