Black Friday 2019 delivers the best deals of the year from the biggest retailers. But how do you keep track of them? I’m putting the big stores head-to-head and following my Walmart Vs Target and Best Buy Vs Target guides, it’s time to face off the pretender (Amazon) against the king (Walmart).
Note: you can find my dedicated Black Friday 2019 guides for Walmart (here), Target (here), Best Buy (here), Costco (here), Amazon (here), Apple (here) and Samsung (here). For daily updates, bookmark my page.
Despite being seen as the old and the new, both stores actually follow a clear historical pattern with their Black Friday deals. So the best place to start is a comparison of last year’s deals on the most popular products:
Where Walmart Black Friday Beat Amazon Black Friday
- iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max or iPhone XR – $300 gift card with qualified activation. Amazon had no major iPhone sales.
- iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus or iPhone X – $400 gift card with qualified activation. As above.
- Microsoft Xbox One X 1TB – $399 (save $100). Amazon had no Xbox One X sales.
- Best 65-inch TV deal – Sharp / TCL 65-inch Class 4K Roku Smart TV for $398. Amazon went cheaper but with low-quality brands.
- Google Home Hub – $99 (save $50). As a rival, Amazon skipped Google Home sales
Where Amazon Black Friday Beat Walmart Black Friday
- Amazon devices – predictably, Amazon’s massive Echo, Fire and Kindle sales were unbeatable and they will be be even better this year.
- Super budget TVs – Amazon offered 32-inch TVs for circa $120. Walmart was not interested in this price point.
- Lightning Deals – Amazon’s Black Friday sales keep you on your toes with short windows to get big discounts on surprise items. Walmart has no equivalent (unless you count its low stock doorbusters!)
- Shipping – Amazon has free two-day shipping on almost all orders with no minimum for Prime Members / free Prime trials (tip: get one) and a $25 minimum for non-members. Walmart has an antiquated $35 minimum to qualify for fast shipping.
What To Expect From Walmart Black Friday 2019 and Amazon Black Friday 2019
Amazon devices – I’m expecting deals on all of Amazon’s seven new devices as well as increased discounts from established ones. My dedicated Amazon guide has a full breakdown of sales predictions for each device.
Apple iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max – Expect Walmart to again deliver $300 vouchers with qualified activation, but Amazon is at the races now it is an official reseller. Look out for it offering big savings on refurbished devices and older models.
Samsung Galaxy S10, S10+, Note 10, Note 10+ – Walmart will also provide its iPhone deal for the top Samsung smartphones. I don’t expect Amazon to compete here, though MarketPlace sellers should have some great deals in isolation. That said, Best Buy’s direct discounts look set to be best of all.
Microsoft Xbox One X – Walmart should have a wider choice of bundles, but expect Amazon to offer circa $100 discounts off the console itself. I anticipate Target’s additional REDcard savings will be tough to beat.
Sony PlayStation 4 Bundles – Walmart again will push bundles, while Amazon will look to discount standalone deals. I expect prices of circa $274.99 ($125 savings) for the PS4 Pro.
TVs – Walmart will shoot for big discounts on premium brands, while Amazon will offer the cheapest TVs you can buy from budget names. Expect Walmart to deliver a killer 65-inch deal while Amazon could deliver the first sub $99 HD TV.
Black Friday Opening Times – Amazon is expected to begin its ‘Black Friday Deals Store’ on November 1 while Walmart’s first deals are live. Amazon deals will ramp up every week until the actual Black Friday doorbusters begin on Thanksgiving Day. Prices should hold throughout the weekend into Cyber Monday. Walmart’s big sale will open at 6 pm on Thanksgiving and stay open all night.
Free Shipping – Once again, Walmart won’t budge from its $35 minimum while Amazon will also keep its $25 minimum for non-Prime members. This puts both stores at a disadvantage compared to Target’s superb free shipping while Best Buy has announced its new and superior upgraded shipping program.
Cyber Monday Ad Scans and Deals – Neither store has a traditional Cyber Monday ad scan, but Amazon will deliver a press release on November 30 while Walmart will tease some deals on the same day. Expect most of the big Black Friday deals to be revived and slightly improved (where stock is available). Tip: watch out for Target and its additional savings for REDcard owners.
I will be extensively tracking Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2019 deals and publishing the best offers daily, so be sure to bookmark my page.
Follow Gordon on Facebook
More Of My Black Friday Coverage On Forbes